SciComp SLV Calibrator

New Orleans Saints Beat the St. Louis Rams 26-24

Harvard Study: Louisiana is the Happiest State in America

 

According to a working paper from researchers at Harvard University and the University of British Columbia, the five happiest cities in the U.S. all happen to be located in one state, which also ranks as the happiest state...

That state is Louisiana. Specifically, the list-toppers of cities include Lafayette, Houma, Shreveport-Bossier City, Baton Rouge and Alexandria. Although some disagree that Louisiana is the happiest state, some research is proving otherwise. Polls that disagree typically use determinants such as financial, economic and purpose driven objectives many of which are career oriented, none of which apply (or have a significant impact) on happiness levels of Louisianans. Some studies have even declared Louisana to be one of the unhappiest states according to tweets and other statistics which are being proven wrong....

On the other end of the spectrum, the unhappiest cities had New York City topping the list, followed by St. Joseph, Missouri; South Bend, Indiana; Erie, Pennsylvania; Evansville, Indiana--Henderson, Kentucky; Toledo, Ohio; Detroit, Michigan; Jersey City, New Jersey; Gary, Indiana; and Scranton--Wilkes-Barre--Hazleton, Pennsylvania....

Louisiana ranks very low in median family and household income, typically 47th and 48th out of 51 states. It also ranks among the highest in percent of people below poverty level. So why are they so happy and makes cities and states unhappy?

According to a study from Lund University, collective picture of what makes us happy is more about relationships and people, and less about things. 

"It's relationships that are most important, not material things, and this is in line with other findings in happiness research," says Danilo Garcia, researcher in psychology at the Sahlgrenska Academy's Centre for Ethics, Law and Mental Health.

Please read more herehere and here.

10 Corporations Control Almost Everything We Buy (Chart)

 

Please read more here and here.

Reuters Poll: 91% Americans Oppose Attacking Syria

 

 

America is most likely going to war with Syria this week in what would be history’s most unpopular war yet. According to Reuters, Americans adamantly oppose Syrian intervention with only 9 percent believing Obama should attack the nation.

The poll reveals Americans would be more inclined to support the war if provided actual facts indicating Syrian President Bashar al-Assad did in fact use chemical weapons against his people.

Here's a thought: How about the 9% who believe this is the "right" thing to do go over to Syria and fight.  Leave the remaining 91% out of it.

 

Please read more herehere and here.

WSJ: Data Crunchers Now the Cool Kids on Campus

On campuses, at cocktail parties and in American corporations, statisticians are walking a bit taller these days.

The explosive growth in data available to businesses and researchers has brought a surge in demand for people able to interpret and apply the vast new swaths of information, from the analysis of high-resolution medical images to improving the results of Internet search engines.

Please read more here.

World's Healthiest Countries: Singapore #1

Miami Heatwave: Miami Beats Boston & Heads to NBA Finals

Congratulations Miami Heat!

Also, a hat tip to the Boston Celtics. You guys hung tough too!

Miami Heat 101

Boston Celtics 88

CBS News: Half of Recent U.S. College Graduates Are Unemployed or Underemployed

An analysis of U.S. Labor Department data conducted for The Associated Press shows half of young college graduates with bachelor’s degrees are either unemployed or underemployed in positions that don’t fully use their skills and knowledge.

Hmmm..., America has the nerve to talk about how bad things are in Greece!

Please read more here.

Kenyans Sweep Boston Marathon --- AGAIN!

CIA.gov: How Big Are Africa & China?

More Entries